The department of Philosophy was initiated in the college along with other department of the Arts stream in 1959. The teaching of philosophy remained confined to pass course till Major course was introduced in 1999. Mr. Abu Bakkar Sddique had offered his service as part time teacher from the beginning. Rabindra Nath Sarmah joined in the department as the full time lecturer in 1992 and became the Head of the department. Ratnamla Rajkhowa joined in the departmentin 1987 and the took over the charge of the department after R.N. Sarma retired in 1992. Geeta Devi Bhattacharjya joined the dept. in 1993. Mrs. Arpana Tamuly joined the dept. in 1998. At present there are four teachers in the department including one contractual teacher.