As English is a compulsory subject, the Department of English was started in the college from the day of its inception on 7th September 1959. At the initial stage, the Department had to be confined to the teaching of English subject in pass course only. The first Head of the Department was Sri Atul Bora who remained for a short period of time in the college. Sri Rabindra Chandra Bora took over the charge of the department after him till his retirement as Principal in Charge of the college in 1999. The Department introduced Major Course in 1986 and in the same year, Alternative English was initiated to cater to the needs of the students. Since its inception, the department has been imparting quality education to the students of Middle Assam, particularly to the students of Nagaon, Morigaon and Karbi Anglong districts. The faculty now comprises Mrs. Neeta Sharma, Sri Arindam Borkataki, Mrs. Archana Talukdar, Mr. Pyar Md Raina. Besides imparting teaching of English subject in B.A. & B.Sc courses, the department teaches English in interdisciplinary course like BCA and offers Certificate Course in Spoken English. It takes special care to the slow learners by providing extra remedial classes. The department has a glorious history of producing a number of graduates who have established themselves in various walks of life, while many others are pursuing higher studies.
The department has been well equipped with a library of about 300 books- both texts and reference and a magazine named Spectrum which serves the purpose of ready reference to the teachers and students. Books are issued to both the faculties and the students of major course. The department has a well furnished language laboratory and facilitated by computer and internet facilities. The student- teacher ratio in B.A. is 125:1 and in B.SC is 45:1.The department organizes different extension programmes on environmental awareness, importance of learning English and cleanliness.